The role is covered in the following locations: St Albans, Herts
Lambda is a leading supplier of characterisation, measurement and analysis equipment, applied to signals from DC to Light. Our company provides hardware, software and integrated solutions throughout the UK & Ireland.
Lambdas scientists and engineers provide expert technical advice, working with you to improve; product discovery, product development and productivity. From fundamental materials research to volume manufacture, our consultative approach will ensure you receive the best advice and get the best solution for your needs.
We provide instruments, components and turn-key solutions for organisations working in a variety of industries including; automotive, aerospace, pharmaceutical, bio-technology, process industries, semiconductor and fundamental research at universities and institutes.
We understand the importance of quality and have certification to ISO9001:2015, please see the link to our ISO certificate.
POSITION: Product Specialist, Microscopy
REGION: UK & Ireland
REPORTING TO: Sales Manager
The Product Specialist is responsible for achieving the annual order and gross margin goals (Plan & Target), and
having excellent applications knowledge for the specific product responsibilities.
- Build up the product portfolio, maximise sales and margins of the Microscopy and Sample Preparation related products and provide excellent customer support.
- Work within the assigned territory to ensure maximum sales to all types of customers including:
Industrial, Electronics, Bio-tech & Pharmaceutical companies, etc
- Meet or exceed the annual order goals, FSE duties include:
Customer Penetration: understand customer organisation, defining and executing customer
development plans and regularly reviewing progress with management and colleagues.
Product Penetration: excellent knowledge and understanding of the products represented.
ability to qualify opportunities based on customer needs and applications.
Territory penetration: knowledge of existing and potential customers
The Product Specialist works with the Sales Manager, MD and Service department. Good cooperation with all Business Units, Principals and Marcom at Lambda is essential.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement territory order plan. Meet or exceeding the order goal, while adjusting strategies (actions), based on business conditions, over time.
- Generate leads and opportunities to grow orders with customers, by communicating (phone/visit) on a regular basis. Progress sales opportunities until orders are placed.
- Perform outbound calls for lead and quote follow up, or as part of specific programs.
- Represent Lambda at trade shows/exhibitions and other public events as required.
- Sell complete solutions, while providing appropriate support & documentation.
- Ensure professional qualification of opportunities and maintain Sales Funnel.
- Use the CRM system, ensure up-to-date customer information
- Convert leads into opportunities and opportunities into orders
- Develop and maintain appropriate customer relationships
- Provide appropriate quotations, as applicable
- Generate referrals.
Liaison with Colleagues:
- Proactively work with world-wide sales and Principals organisation for customer penetration, while securing global and local opportunities.
- Provide input for Marketing Communications (Marcom) and web-site improvement to Digital Marketeer.
- Pro-actively provide input to Sales Manager eg; on products, service, and competition.
- Involve Service department (Repair and Calibration) whenever necessary
- Facilitate customer relationships for management.
Self Development & Training:
- Pro-actively adopt and maintain knowledge of Lambdas products and services and translate into specific customer benefits.
- Maintain focus on personal metrics, discuss regularly with management and identify and implement areas for improvements.
- Continual improvement for consultative, strategic and customer management selling techniques.
- Bring any critical issues up in a timely manner and escalate where necessary
- Participate in Lambda training, sales reviews and meetings.
- Meet or exceed annual order and gross margin goals
- Maintain up to date sales funnel
- Ensure accurate customer information (contacts & notes) in CRM
- Preparation of annual Business Plan, customer plans and monthly/quarterly reviews for corrective action
- Customer penetration: Customer Planning, incl. organisational understanding. Maximise share-of-market in target customers. Ensure appropriate management level meetings; functional management, Director. Informal Target Customer status update.
- Relationship building: number of customer visits/week (target greater than 4 visits/week)
The ideal candidate will either; have previous experience of selling Electron Microscopy systems and a strong familiarity with sample preparation and applications or be passionate about technology with a willingness to learn about Electron Microscopy and sample preparation. The Product Specialist will have or develop an excellent working knowledge of SEMs and preferably will have previous sales experience, educated to minimum graduate level in a scientific (physical, biological or chemical) or engineering discipline, (or equivalent), and be willing to take on a challenging and rewarding sales role. Good interpersonal and communication skills, commercial awareness and familiarity with Microsoft Office software are essential.
- Scientific or Technical Degree
- Three years experience or strong desire for technical sales
- Commercial awareness, business acumen, and negotiation skills.
- Excellent use/knowledge of PC Tools (MS Office, CRM systems etc.)
- Excellent English communication and presentation skills (written, oral)
- Good understanding of the principles of systems; both hardware and software.
KEY TERMS: Electron Microscopy, Ion Milling, Plasma Cleaning, Scanning Electron Microscopy, SEM, Transmission Electron Microscopy, TEM, STEM, Sample Preparation, XRD, FTIR, X-Ray Photoelectric Spectroscopy, EDX, EDS,
- Experience of working within high-tech industries and government funded organisations
- Initiative & quick decision making
- Professional sales funnel management skills
- Dedicated to extensive contact with customers
- Well organised with good time management skills
- Professional personal presentation and appearance
- Communication skills, active listening and negotiation
- Self Starter with a high degree of focus and self motivation
- Strong social competency relating to different personal styles
- Ability to quickly demonstrate a professional image with customers
- Ability to lead customer meetings; defining agenda, summarising minutes..etc
- Full and valid drivers license for the UK
Base salary between £30,000 - £42,000 dependent on experience
Bonus scheme: 10-15% (increased potential over time)
Travel expensed/company car.
5% contribution match